Monday, November 21, 2011

Slowing down

I wish I could say that's what I'm doing, slowing down.  It's not.  As my girlie gets older, I get busier.  As I take on new challenges, i.e. work, I get busier. As I get more involved with volunteering, I get busier.

But I am slowing down.  Does that make sense?

I think I would call it prioritizing.  Being selective about what I say yes to.  Being selective about who is in my life.  Eliminating mental clutter so that when I'm in the moment, I am truly in the moment.  I have rules for myself now.  No phone at times when the ones I love need and deserve 100% of my attention.  This can be challenging because my work now requires me to sleep with my phone.  Not literally but yup, it's on my bedside table at night.  Same goes with my personal tether to the world.  9:30PM and unless it's something important, I don't answer it.  No calls, no texts, no email, no Facebook, no Twitter.  Makes me enjoy times like these more too.  Times where everyone is taken care of.  The tasks for the day are wrapped up and I can escape to a place where I can get my thoughts out there.  Clear my head.

I watched and listened to my girlie laugh tonight.
Full out belly laugh.
Eyes squinting.
Head back.
Full of life.

That is what makes me slow down.  That's what puts perspective on everything.  I could have kissed her face off.  And I did.  When I snuggled in to put her to bed.  When she asked me to hold her hand.  My world stopped.  I was in heaven on earth.

As always, love the one you're with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts are always appreciated.