Tuesday, May 29, 2012

commitment

promise

engagement

pledge


vow

word

The first five words that popped in my mind when I thought of the word commitment.

We all have commitments to family, friends, employment, tasks but the most important commitment should be to ourselves.  It took me a VERY long time to get to that place.  I'm like my Mama; feeling like I need to look after everyone else, namely my Sweet pea.  And obviously I have to look after my baby, she's my life, my responsibility, my everything.  BUT in order to look after her fully and completely, I have to be whole.  To be whole I have to go to the gym, soak in the tub once in a while, go dancing with the girls, read a book, go for a walk alone, listen to music, write, volunteer.

I think being the primary parent for the past four years, I feel guilt.  I think even in situations where there are two parents, there is the feeling that we need to spend as much time with our kids as possible.  That is true, to an extent.  Yes, with the busy lives we lead, we have to seize all the time we can with them.  However, that 60 minutes you took to go to the gym while they visited with Nanny and Grampie or that evening you had dinner with friends and they stayed with Daddy is okay.  And it teaches them so much.  More than you could ever know.

From my side of the fence, I have a daughter who sees me reading and writing and she appreciates taking time for herself to do the same.  She sees Mom looking after her health and she wants to learn and do the same (Scholastic has a great yoga DVD for young people).  She appreciates a soak in the bubbles as much as I do.  She goes to the SPCA with me and gives her time and she sees Mommy helping in army.  None of this would happen if I didn't take that little bit of me time.  If I didn't make that commitment to myself.  If I didn't work to make my self whole.  And never mind that it's teaching her to be imaginative, innovative, independent, responsible, caring, compassionate, empathetic...

There is no perfection.  This is only my opinion.  What I live day-to-day.  In my little piece of the world, this works.

Love the one you're with.  XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts are always appreciated.